The history of Public School 8 dates back to before the turn of the century. Back then , P.S. 8 was part of the five schools in the Southfield section of Staten Island. Our present structure was built in 1915 and additions to the main building were made in 1937 and and again in 1952. The people of Great Kills have always felt a great deal of pride in their school and today is no different.
Our School's namesake,Mrs. Shirlee Solomon was a member of the P.S. 8 Parent Teacher Association and was quite instrumental in helping relieve the overcrowding that occurred in our school after the population in Great Kills soared as a result of the opening of the Verrazano Bridge. She became a member of the community school board, now known as the CEC. She eventually became the executive assistant to the Staten Island representative of the New York City Central Board of Education. In 1992, P.S. 8 was officially dedicated to Shirlee Solomon. We are known as Shirlee Solomon -Great Kills School .